Forum

What kind of Kalimb...

SHARE:
Notifications
Clear all

What kind of Kalimba do you use most often?

kaliFAN
 kaliFAN
(@kaliFAN)
Solved

Hello,
I just ordered a 17 tine Kalimba (my first Kalimba). After watching some videos about Chromatic and 21 tine Kalimbas I am wondering if 17 tine was the right decision. So I wanted to ask you about your experience with different Kalimbas. What kind of Kalimba do you use most often and do you feel like something is missing when you play on your 17 tine Kalimba?
Another thing I wanted to ask is if it damages or wears the Kalimba in any way to retune it.
Thanks a lot and shout out to the youtuber erick j medina who recommended this site in one of his videos.

Topic starts Posted : 22/03/2021 2:00 pm
Topic Tags
Nataliya
(@admin)
Kalimba Advocate admin

@kaliFAN - thanks for your questions

It is pure personal preference if you like a chromatic or the 17-key Kalimba. I would advise experimenting with both and picking the one you like more.

Now, in terms of retuning, some Kalimbas are fixed - which means that you cannot retune them at all. Others, like Kalimbera, can be retuned - but you can tune it in C or lower keys (otherwise the highest tines won't make any sound).

Owner of kalimbera.com and KalimbaForum.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2021 2:08 pm
Khyla andrea
(@khyla)
Eminent Kalimbist

As I am still learning, I often use a 17-key kalimba. For me, buying a chromatic one will be cheaper in the long run, than having one 17 and one chromatic. But since you've bought one already, I don't think it's a bad decision. Additionally, you can still explore and decide if you're really interested in a kalimba with the first one you got. Hoping for the best when you receive it! 

youtube: Khyla Andrea
Instagram: khyla.kalimba
facebook: https://facebook.com/KhylaAndreaYT
ko-fi.com/KhylaAndrea

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2021 3:16 pm
Nataliya liked
kalimbaNewbie
(@kalimbanewbie)
Active Kalimbist

I’m a newbie in kalimba world ^_^ and I’m glad that I already bought my very first kalimba the Meraki and I love the melody that I heard every time I played it 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2021 5:35 pm
Nataliya liked
kaliFAN
(@kalifan)
New Kalimbist

Thanks for all the answers. I bought a Bolf Kalimba and I think it is retunable. But i will leave it at C major I think, because I found many tabs for it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2021 6:42 pm
Nataliya liked
Saskia
(@basket)
Eminent Kalimbist

I have a B11 and a B17 in G major from Hokema, which I love to play melodies. 

My self-made kalimbas all have different special tunings: Akebono, Pygmy, Deep Skye and so on. You can play freely with it.

Greetings from Saskia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/03/2021 8:31 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
SHARE: