Notifications
Clear all

What do I need to know about a kalimba?

Kuri
 Kuri
(@kuri)
New Kalimbist

Hey,

I've watched a lot of videos about the instrument and think it's really nice. But I've never played an instrument and therefore don't know anything about the kalimba and instruments in general.

So I wanted to ask a few questions. 🙂

- What exactly are the differences between a flat board and a resonance box? Is the box louder or does it sound better?

- Are there any other important differences / types of kalimbas?

- Does the Kalimba really sound like it does in the many videos or was it somehow recorded through this connection on the PC? Because the sound always sounds so perfect? Do not know...

- Where can I find learning material? Preferably in German, unfortunately I can't read notes.

MfG Kuri

Topic starts Posted : 13/04/2021 11:17 pm
Nataliya liked
Saskia
(@basket)
Eminent Kalimbist

Hello, nice to have you here.

yes, the difference between hollow and flat is mainly the volume. Then there are the differences in mood, be careful not to use a pentatonic tuned kalimba if you want to play songs.

Yes, a proper kalimba sounds really great. With the cheap ones, you usually have the problem that the two outer lamellas do not swing well and are therefore dull, or that they produce no sound at all. But to start and try it is completely sufficient. Since Kalimbas are pack animals, they reproduce very quickly anyway. 

At the moment I can only recommend the textbook by Conny Sommer as learning material in German. 

I'll write you another PM

Greetings from Saskia

ReplyQuote
Posted: 26/04/2021 11:26 am
Nataliya liked
SHARE: